Skip to main content

Pinhole Camera's

Materials:

  • light sensitive photographic paper
  • pinhole camera 
  • developer, fixative, stop and wash (or Ilford print developing machine)


Processes:


The process of using the pinhole camera began by first taking a pinhole camera (made from a shoe box) into the darkroom so that when I collected the light-sensitive paper and placed it inside the pinhole camera emulsion side up, the paper was not exposed to any light because the light-sensitive photographic paper does not get exposed to the red light (safe light) within the darkroom. I then went outside with the pinhole camera and experimented, trying different things to see what worked best with the greatest outcomes from the final print. I made sure that the pinhole was completely sealed shut with the black material, making sure that no light was leaking in, overexposing the paper and in theory spoiling the print. I then brought the pinhole camera back into the darkroom and put it into the print developing machine and waited for the final print to develop.


Technical Skills:

Through the process above, I learned some technical skills, which first includes the exposure times. I learned that when using the pinhole camera in a darkened environment or capturing a dark subject matter, then the light-sensitive paper should be exposed to more light meaning that it needs a longer exposure time of around 20-30 seconds. Also, it works the opposite way, with a lighter scene which means that it may not need a long exposure time and instead have a shorter exposure time of around 10 seconds. I found this out by experimenting with different environments and different kinds of lighting. The second technical skill that I learned was that when using a pinhole camera, you need to get as close to the subject matter as possible in order to achieve the best final outcomes which have distortion and obscures the subject matter that I was capturing.
My prints can be seen below, starting with my experimental prints using the pinhole camera followed by my personal best print.

 





REFER TO SKETCHBOOK FOR ANNOTATION

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching/Panorama

I created a stitched (photo merge) image by taking many photographs which overlap very slightly in order to produce a final panoramic image. I began by opening photoshop and going to the "File" menu and then "Automate" and then clicking on "Photomerge". By doing this, it opens up a tab which allows me to change what sort of photo merge I am going to produce and it also allows me to browse the files that I would like to use for the photo merge. I then browsed through my files to find the exact files that I wanted to use. Once I clicked open, it layered and merged the photos together into one final panoramic image. Once the final image was created I flattened the image by hovering over the "Layer" and then clicked on "Flatten Image" which brought all the layer into one. Below are my 2 final panoramic images that I created. The 2 final images above are underexposed so when I create a panoram...

Hyper-Lapse

I created my hyper-lapse by placing my camera carefully on top of a tripod. I then positioned the tripod which had my camera on the edge of a pavement so that my main subject was positioned centrally in the frame. Next, I took a shot of the subject standing still on the curb of the pavement and every time I took a shot, I tracked backward whilst the subject moved forwards. I created the final video (hyper-lapse) by putting all the photos that I took into one folder. I then opened Photoshop. Once Photoshop was opened, I went to into the "File" menu and then clicked on "Open".   Once I had done that, I Navigated to the folder where all the photos were. I selected the first photo that I took.  Once the Photo has opened in photoshop, I went to the "Dialogue Box" and then clicked on "Image Sequence" By clicking "Open", it will import the photos into a time-lapse video fi...

Kaleidoscope

In order to do the kaleidoscope effect in photoshop, I needed to use a JPEG file because a RAW file is too large and it would take a longtime to process and carry out the actions that I want to perform on the file. Once the JPEG file is opened in photoshop, I cropped the image, getting rid of anything that I did not want to have in the final image. Then I double clicked on the background layer in the layers palette. I then expanded the size of the canvas so that I could fit the kaleidoscope within the canvas. I achieved this by clicking on 'Image' and then 'Canvas Size'. I then made the anchor so that it was top left of the canvas and I changed the units to percent and then I also set the width and height to 200%. I then needed to copy and flip the top left layer so that it covers the remains empty areas of the canvas. I did this by selecting the top layer and then pressing 'cmd' and 'ctrl'-'J'. this copies the top...